Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Because it made me smile

Mona Van Duyn from The Sounds of Poetry

What The Motorcycle Said

Br-r-r-am-m-m, rackety-am-m, OM, Am:
All--r-r-ram, ala-bas-ter--
Am, the world's my oyster.

I hate plastic, wear it black and slick,
hate hardhats, wear one on my head,
that's what the motorcycle said.

Passed phonies in Fords, knocked down billboards, landed
on the other side of The Gap, and Whee
threw away their wrath.

R-r-rackety-am-m. Am. War, rhyme,
soap, meat, marriage, the Phantom Jet
are shit, and like that.

Hate pompousness, punishment, patience, am into Love,
hat e middle-class moneymakers, live on Dad,
that's what the motorcycle said.

Br-r-rackety-am-m. It's Nowsville, man. Passed Oldies, Uglies,
Straighties, Honkies. I'll never be
mean, tired or unsexy.

Passed cigarette suckers, souses, mother-fuckers,
losers, went back to Nature and found
how to get VD stoned.

Passed a cow, too fast to hear her moo, "I rolled
our leave of grass into one ball.
I am the grassy All."

Br-r-r-am-m-m, rackety-am-m, OM, AM:
All-Gr-r-rin, ooohgah, gl-l-utton--
Am, the world's my smilebutton.


Now picture someone reading it outload in a class of 24 people :), and the Rolling Stones.

No comments: